Tamoxifen Undergoes Optimization
Computer programs like GaussView and Gaussian 03W are some of the advanced tools
that can be used by scientists to design and optimize new designed drug. Using the exact same
tools as scientists today, I am going to take a known drug, Tamoxifen, and create few analogs
similar to its structure. Before I can create some analogs in GaussView, I am going to study and
examine the structure of Tamoxifen to understand the chemistry that involves in this structure.
For example, the bonds between molecules and the interactions between the drug and estrogen
receptor complex site. After I design an analog of Tamoxifen, I will then use the Gaussian 03W
program to optimize the analog. As for the last step in determining if an analog is a good
candidate for a new designed drug, I am going to use a special computer program called
OpenEye Software to help me make that prediction.
Breast Cancer is the most common type of cancer known among women in the US. It is
the second-leading cause of cancer-related deaths. More than 180,000 women are diagnosed with
breast cancer each year. In 2006, out of all of these women, 40,000 died. Although breast cancer
mainly affects women, data shows that men can also be affected as well; each year more than
1,000 men are diagnosed with breast cancer 3. This information shows that cancer can affect
anyone regardless of an individualâ€™s gender, ethnicity, etc. It is important that everyone knows
about breast cancer and helps friends or family members with breast cancer to find way to
diagnose it. In nowadays, scientists are learning more about cancer and are exploring new ways
to prevent, detect, diagnose, and treat this deadly disease 1.
3. Corey, E. J., Barbara Czako, and Laszlo Kurti. Molecules and medicine. New Jersey: John
Wiley &Sons, Inc., 2007.
4. Jordan, V., ed. Long-Term Tamoxifen Treatment for Breast Cancer. Wisconsin: The
University of Wisconsin Press, 1994.
5. Oxford University Press. "Figure 18.44: Tamoxifen." Online Resource Centre. 29 Jul. 2008.
6. Wikipedia. "Tamoxifen." Wikipedia. 29 Jul. 2008.
7. Wiseman, Helen. Tamoxifen-Molecular Basis of Use in Cancer Treatment and Prevention.
England: John Wiley &Sons Ltd, 1994.
8. Nolte, RT. "Crystal structure of Estrogen Related Reecptor-3 (ERR-gamma) ligand binding
domaind with tamoxifen analog GSK5182." Protein Data Bank. 29 Jul. 2008.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.